Of course I can’t start the year without a post about my New Year’s Resolutions! At the beginning of every year we all hope for the new year to bring unexpected things…to inspire us, to surprise us, to be healthy and happy and full of new beginnings. That’s the way I see January 1…the first page of a new book. It’s not like I expect life to drastically change, nor do I think that I’ll actually keep most of my resolutions; it’s just nice to set standards and use the new year as a clean slate to start fresh. These resolutions are just a few of many, so here goes!
1. Stop people pleasing- I have been told by so many people that I’m a people pleaser. I just can’t say no to people even if I don’t really want to do something or go somewhere. Compromise is never a bad thing but always giving in because you can’t say no is not. This is definitely something that needs to go!
2. Be more organized- For those of you who’ve seen my room, you know that it looks like a literal warzone. It’s the kind of warzone where I can just about find anything because I know exactly what pile of junk it’s under (this is the excuse I tell my mom every time she insists I clean up) but it’s still unacceptable. It’s time to throw things out and clean things up…and make sure it stays that way!
3. Eat healthy- My diet since college ended has been absolutely awful. No fruit, minimal vegetables, mostly junk. I learned since college that I enjoy cooking, so I’m going to make it my mission to start cooking healthier meals, and start rationing my intake of cake (and similar deliciousness).
4. Start doing more of what I enjoy- I realized that there are so many things I like doing that I just don’t make time to do. Whether it’s for legitimate reasons or simply because I don’t want to get up and do them, it is just unacceptable. Life is only going to get busier, so I better make time for the fun things now before I have real reasons not to pursue them.
5. Try something new- Similar to the last one, I’m going to really try to find something I haven’t done and become a pro at it. Whether it’s using a sewing machine, or learning ballroom dancing, I’m going to pick up something new this year and make it part of my life.
These are just five of the many I wrote down yesterday during some New Year’s Day downtime. I think everyone should make a list, typed or handwritten, and keep it with them. It could be detailed or brief, bullets or paragraphs, but it should be something that you hold yourself accountable for. This year is going to be amazing, and I want to use the fresh start as an opportunity to work towards being the best version of myself!